Sunday, January 9, 2011

Interview of an Exchange Student

Q. What was it like learning English?
A. "Learning English was like when a baby learns to walk"
      -I think that it would be like learning to walk or even riding a bike. Learning Spanish is fun, but difficult at times. If I had to learn enough Spanish to speak it fluently it would be very hard and frustrating.

Q. Was it harder to learn how to speak English or how to write in English?
A. "It's harder to speak English than to write"
      -I think I would agree if I was comparing myself to him but with Spanish. In Spanish, there are all these accent marks, and grammar makes it worse. I  know that English is very particular on grammar, so it must have been very difficult to learn.

Q. What was your country like?
A. "My country was a very old country"
      -Since Cameroon is a very old country, maybe there is more possibility of more languages spoken in the country.

Q. Do you wish you were still living in your country?
A. "No I don’t because my country changed over time"


Q.  How big was your school?
A. "My school was something like 2 acres"
      -I learned that different languages read stuff differently. For instance, I meant how big was your school as in the total number of kids there. I should have used different wording because it sounded like how big was your school as in the size of the campus. Because i'm use to speaking English with other people that speak English, I assumed this would be the population type of question. I thought that was very interesting and cool.


Q. Did you have to learn other languages in your school at home?
A. " Yes you have to learn some foreign languages like German, Spanish, English, Chinese"
      -I think that it is awesome that they have to learn many other languages because it helps to get a better job, you can hold a conversation with many different speaking people, and its fun to know them!


Q. Can you speak any other languages? And if you have, which was the hardest to learn?
A. " I used to speak Spanish when I was in 5th grade but not very well"
     -I think that learning different languages at a younger age is important because you can get use to it a younger age and kids are more efficient at learning other languages young.

Q. Did people at your home know many other languages?
A. " Yes they did they know many other languages like German, Spanish, etc."
      - I think that it is important for people in your country to speak different languages to get diversity and so people can learn from each other. Having French, Spanish, and German in one country is really cool because the languages aren't very similar.


Q. Did you have a lot of homework at school?
A. "We did have a lot of homework when I say a lot that was a lot" 

Q. Did you have sports at your school?
A. "I did have sports in my last school."
     -I think that it is important to have sports in school so you can participate in after school activities with friends and not just be sitting around.


Q. Do you still speak your original language to people you know at school from the same country?
A. " I only know my brothers at school who can speak French so I only speak French with them but there isn't really anyone else who speaks French at John Carroll"
     -I think it would be fun to be able to speak English with friends and my original language with my family. Then you could say stuff that no one else knows what it means!


Q. Did many people in Cameroon know how to speak English?
A. " In Cameroon English is also official language so we speak English and French in Cameroon. My country is divided in 2 parts, French part and English part many people in Cameroon speak English"
    -I never knew this about Cameroon and I thought this was a very interesting fact!


Q. What language are you taking now at John Carroll?
A. "I still took French at JC"
    -I wonder if it is like
 English speaking students taking English class or if it is really easy for him to know.


Q. Do you think you could teach someone how to speak English?
A. "Not really, I think it would be hard"
     -I think I could teach someone some basics of Spanish, but not a whole language.


Q. What was the best part about learning English?
A. "The best part when you learn English it’s when you can speak English very well"
    -I would agree...if I could speak Spanish fluently.


Q. Are you happy you had to learn English or does it not matter?
A. " I’m so happy to learn English because that will be a big advantage for me in the future. I could go anywhere in the world" 
    -This is a very good point. Knowing many languages does help a lot!


I learned a lot from my interview. I realized how important it is to know how to speak other languages. I interviewed Lionel Owana. He use to live in Cameroon where most people speak French in his area. I think it would be really fun to learn another language so I could speak it fluently, but at the same time, it would be very difficult. For instance, right now I am taking Spanish, but I doubt that I could hold a conversation with someone. This was a very interesting project and I had a lot of fun!

Here is a picture of Cameroon and their flag.

image from: http://www.thecommonwealth.org/YearbookHomeInternal/138354/

image from: http://www.33ff.com/flags/worldflags/Cameroon_flag.html

No comments:

Post a Comment