Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Daily Question: 2/8/11

Give several examples of monuments in Maryland / DC / PA that might be familiar to folks who live here but which would not be understood by outsiders without an explanation. Please include your own or public domain photos.


There are many monuments in Maryland, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania that might be familiar to people who live in these areas, but would not be understood by outsiders without an explanation. In Aberdeen, there is Ripken Stadium. I'm sure that people not local to this area will know what it is, but I think that people who live in Harford County appreciate it on a bigger scale because Cal Ripken's mother lives in Aberdeen. I have friends who are really close to their family, and they were very excited when the stadium was built. Monuments in Washington D.C. like the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the White House are all important to people in the United States because they show our presidents that are important to our country alone. I'm sure there are monuments in other states in the U.S. or in other countries that are really important to the local people, but not to me because I don't live there and I don't  understand the effect of the monument. I think it is important for people to have these items because it expresses their view and the things that they appreciate in their culture. Obviously Washington D.C. is important to the United States because its our capital, but important things affect people in a good way, and show what they are like along with their culture. From learning about important monuments in other countries, I can learn some about their country and culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment